Re: help-How to plot Chinese precipitation figure?

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 23 2010 - 09:27:31 MST

Dear Nancy,

You can do this one of two ways.

One way is to do it by masking out the areas in your map that you are
not interested in.

The other way, is if you have a shapefile that contains the outline
you're interested in, then you can use the "gc_inout" function to set
your data to all missing values wherever it falls outside the boundary.

To see some examples of masking, see examples 4 and 8 at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mask.shtml

For a "gc_inout" example, see example 9 on the same page.

I think that the first method is slightly easier, unless you need a
very specific boundary that NCL doesn't have in its map database.

What I've done in the attached example script is draw the land and
ocean in white, and then left China "transparent" so you can see the
contours.

--Mary