interpolation gaps

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 23 2010 - 08:54:06 MST

Hi all,

I'm using rcm2points() to interpolate data from a curvilinear grid to a lat-lon
grid, and I'm getting gaps in the result. It's especially pronounced if I set
opt=2 to use bilinear interpolation, but even with the inverse distance
weighting algorithm, there are still a few points inside the region (see the
upper corners of the attached plots) where the function returns missing_value.

I thought maybe it was some kind of distance cutoff thing, but I get exactly
the same results if I divide my lat & lon arrays by 10 before interpolation and
multiply by 10 afterwards. And in fact, I also get missing data in the same
places using getind_latlon2d() to do a nearest-neighbor interpolation.

Any idea what's causing this, and how I can get those points filled in?

Thanks,

--Seth