Re: is it possible to save gif or png file instead of ps file in ncl?

From: Don Murray <Don.Murray_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Dec 09 2010 - 07:51:27 MST

Hi-

I had trouble with the -trim and +repage on convert not repaging the
gifs, but found using the following syntax:

convert -crop 800x510+0+160\! foo.png foo.gif

would work (\! on the end of the geometry - see
http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/crop/). I use "png" for the
workstation type and then use convert with crop to make the images for
the web. I use GIF because they are much smaller than the PNGs.

Don

On 12/9/10 6:23 AM, daryl herzmann wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Dec 2010, Andrea Hahmann wrote:
>
>> And by the way, the "trim" option does not work with gif files. You
>> need to convert to png or jpg instead. Andrea
>
> "-trim" should work with GIF files, you may also need to add the "+repage"
> option to the convert command. I'd recommend going to PNG each time, JPEG
> is not a good format for plots with lots of small lines in it.
>
> daryl

Don Murray
NOAA/ESRL/PSD and CIRES
303-497-3596