Re: Question for Users: Interactive Mode

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Dec 21 2010 - 14:39:52 MST

Hi All,

NCL could definitely use some improvement in the interactive department, but it seems we
always have other more important priorities to take care of.

The trouble ticket system is not for public consumption at the moment, but this is what we
have in ticket NCL-265 (and I will be adding the latest comments to this ticket):

I feel that NCL's interactive capabilities could use some improvements:

 - Better debugging capabilities
 - Online help for functions (right now we just have list_procfuncs)
 - Command line completion
 - Better error handling
 - A "clear" command to clear the interactive window
 - Function for retrieving the list of variables (there's a procedure)

The quick look is something that one could easily write rather than waiting for us to do it. :-)

For example, here's a sample "plotit" procedure you might write:

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"

procedure plotit(data)
local wks, res, plot
begin
  wks = gsn_open_wks("pdf","plotit")
  gsn_define_colormap(wks,"StepSeq25") ; Change colormap

; Set up resources.
  res = True
  res@gsnMaximize = True ; Maximize plots
  res@gsnSpreadColors = True ; Span full color map
  res@cnFillOn = True ; Turn on contour fill
  res@cnLinesOn = False ; Turn off contour lines
  res@lbLabelAutoStride = True ; Control labelbar spacing

  plot = gsn_csm_contour(wks,data,res) ; Create filled contours
end

And here's a main script that could call it:

load "./plotit.ncl"
data = generate_2d_array(10, 12, -20., 17., 0, (/100,100/))
plotit(data)

--Mary