Re: get dimension sizes

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Jan 16 2011 - 11:27:29 MST

If the variable is a "coordinate variable" [ie, a variable
name is the same as its' dimension name, eg time(time) ] then

dimt = filevardimsizes(f,"time")
print(dimt)

Otherwise, you can write your own function. See the examples at:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/getvardims.shtml

undef("my_filevardimsizes")
function my_filevardimsizes(f[1]:file, dname[1]:string)
local fdimnames, dsizes, i
begin
   fdimnames = getvardims(f) ; all dimension names on file
   if (any(fdimnames.eq.dname)) then
       dsizes = getfiledimsizes(f)
       i = ind(fdimnames.eq.dname)
       return(dsizes(i))
   else
       print("my_filevardimsizes: warning: no dimension named "+dname)
       return(-999)
   end if
end