Re: Scatter plot

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2011 - 15:35:12 MST

On Feb 4, 2011, at 12:09 PM, James Correia wrote:

> Hi-
> I am constructing a scatter plot based on gsn_csm_xy. I would like to further complicate it by coloring the markers based on a 3rd variables properties. It sounds like I need to split my variables into the appropriate color bins and then overlay them to form the final plot.
>
> Is there another way to accomplish this using additional Resources?
> jimmyc

Hi Jimmy,

I created a new scatter plot example. See example 5 at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/scatter.shtml#ex5

I used dummy data for the values, and then "nice_mnmxintvl" to group the values into equally spaced bins.

In your case, you'll need to use whatever criteria you want for grouping the markers.

You can then use xyMarkers and xyMarkerColors to set the different markers and colors. You
can use NhlNewMarker to define your own markers if you don't like the ones provided:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Images/markers.png
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/NhlNewMarker.shtml

--Mary