Problems using month_to_annual() function

From: Madeleine Patterson <madeleine.patterson77_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Mar 08 2011 - 08:11:25 MST

Hi,

I am trying to calculate annual means from monthly data and have struck an
error message using the month_to_annual(var,1) function:

temp_mod1_annmean = month_to_annual(temp_mod1_all,1)

The error message I get is:

fatal:mask: dimension sizes of parameter 0 and parameter 1 do not match
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 8537 in file
$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 73 in file
Annual_mean_diffmap.ncl

I did look at past instances of this error message in archived NCL-talk
messages, and but have figured out how to name the dimensions of my variable
other than by doing:

temp_mod1_all_dims = dimsizes(temp_mod1_all)
print(temp_mod1_all_dims)

ntim = temp_mod1_all_dims(0)
nlat = temp_mod1_all_dims(1)
nlon = temp_mod1_all_dims(2)

But this is not quite what you'd written to another person who encountered
this problem:

"From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed May 26 2010 - 10:29:24 MDT
One requirement is that your dimensions are named. Is this the case?

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

  var_raw = random_uniform(0.,2.,(/360,146,196/))
  var_raw!0 = "time"
  var_raw!1 = "lat"
  var_raw!2 = "lon"

  var = month_to_annual(var_raw, 1) "

I'm not sure how to specify my particular variable in the above form.... and
hence not sure how to solve this particular error message.

Thanks for any help you can give me - this problem has stumped me for a
while.

Best,
Madeleine