NGSETI error in vector plots

From: Stephen Yeager <yeager_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2011 - 14:02:15 MDT

Hello:

This vector plot issue was brought up in a 2008 post by Dave Allured, and
I'm not sure what the status is of any fix...

I get the following errors when attempting a vector plot:

  ERROR 2 IN NGSETI - Parameter value out of range for CT
fatal:VectorPostPlotDraw: SET - UNCLEARED PRIOR ERROR
fatal:VectorPostPlotDraw: error drawing vectors
fatal:VectorPlotDraw: draw error
warning:WorkstationDeactivate: workstation not active or not opened
fatal:VectorPlotDraw: draw error
fatal:PlotManagerPostDraw: error in plot post-draw
fatal:_NhlPlotManagerDraw: PostDraw error

This is generated by the following code sequence
     tmprcu = where(prob(i,:,:).lt.0.9,rcu@_FillValue,rcu(i,:,:))
     tmprcv = where(prob(i,:,:).lt.0.9,rcv@_FillValue,rcv(i,:,:))
     copy_VarMeta(rcu,tmprcu)
     copy_VarMeta(rcv,tmprcv)
     plotvec = gsn_csm_vector(wks,tmprcu,tmprcv,resv)
     overlay(plot(i),plotvec)

The vector plot is failing because I'm masking out the vector components
whereever probability is below 0.9. Apparently, this results in too
many _FillValues, which gsn_csm_vector can't handle. The sequence
works in other situations where probabilities are high and there is
relatively little masking. Similarly, I have no problems if I skip
the masking step.

  gsn_csm_vector() should be able to handle an array full of _FillValues,
shouldn't it?

Thanks,
Steve