Dynamically downscaling across analyses

From: Simon Metcalf <Simon.Metcalf_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Mar 20 2011 - 18:49:27 MDT

Hi,

I was wondering if someone can point me in the direction of a generally accepted method (or a few options) for dynamically downscaling between and across (6-hour) analyses? I know it's been done with various UCAR models and is possibly quite a common task but there are a number of factors to consider. For example, the 0-hour downscale is generally not (very) close to the 6-hour forecast because it hasn't had time to ramp up the higher resolution meteorology from courser grids. In other words, it's likely that the 6-hour forecast is superior at the resolution in question, but over the course of the following 6-hours it needs to incorporate the updated analysis. What methods (if any) exist to resolve such a problem? I am using a non-UCAR general circulation (CFD) model but the model itself is not particularly relevant to this question unless the method needs to be integrated very closely with the downscaling rather than just a (hopefully) simple post-processing algorithm. I'm not an atmospheric scientist so any information or recommendations are appreciated.

Regards,

Simon.

Simon Metcalf
NSW RURAL FIRE SERVICE
Headquarters
Locked Bag 17
Granville NSW 2142

T: +612 8741 5352
F: +612 8741 5384

www.rfs.nsw.gov.au<http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/>

RFS Disclaimer:
This email message is intended only for the addressee(s) and contains information which may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this email and any copies or links to this email completely and immediately from your system. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Rural Fire Service.