Re: Inland Water outline color

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Apr 05 2011 - 08:59:13 MDT

Hi MJ,

I was going to tell you to use mpOutlineSpecifiers, but realized that there's no way to set the individual line colors for each area you specify. There's also no way that I know of to individually specify the color for inland water boundaries (you can do this for fill, as you know).

Dave may have a better way of doing the below, but what I've done is create the map twice: one with the ocean drawn red, and one with the inland water drawn in blue. I then used gsn_add_annotation to make one of the maps an annotation of the other, and thus they become one plot. (You can't use "overlay" because this procedure doesn't allow you to overlay two maps).

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"

begin
  wks = gsn_open_wks("x11" ,"inlandwater")

  res = True

  res@gsnFrame = False
  res@gsnDraw = False

  res@mpOutlineOn = True ; Default is False
  res@mpFillOn = False ; Default is True

  res@mpOutlineBoundarySets = "NoBoundaries"
  res@mpOutlineSpecifiers = "Land"
  res@mpGeophysicalLineColor = "Red"

;---Create first map with red land
  map1 = gsn_csm_map(wks,res)

  res@mpOutlineSpecifiers = "InlandWater"
  res@mpGeophysicalLineColor = "blue"

;---Create second map with blue inlandwater
  map2 = gsn_csm_map(wks,res)

;
; Make second map an annotation of the first one.
;
; The default is that both plots will be made the
; same size, so they will overlap perfectly.
;
  amres = True
  anno_id = gsn_add_annotation(map1,map2,amres)

;---Drawing the first map will draw both maps.
  draw(map1)
  frame(wks)
end