gsn_contour_shade is SLOW!

From: Stephen Yeager <yeager_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Apr 11 2011 - 11:37:58 MDT

Hello:

I've attached an ncl script which can be run on mirage. It generates
a 16-panel plot. Once the computation is done (a minute, perhaps), it
takes about 10-20 seconds to generate the final plot.

However, when I add shading onto the contour plots using either
         ShadeLtContour() or gsn_contour_shade()

it takes more than 30 minutes to finish! I like the resulting page of
plots, but would like to know why it takes so long to complete, and how I
might speed it up.

Thanks,
Steve