Re: Read Nexrad level II data in netcdf format

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Apr 29 2011 - 06:18:38 MDT

The "fatal:..." message is not correct. It is a warning.

fatal:Dimension size of attribute and right-hand side of assignment do
not match

f = addfile("prova.nc","r")

az=f->azimuthR
t=f->timeR
ng=f->numGatesR
el=f->elevationR
d=f->distanceR

dbz=f->Reflectivity
printVarSummary(dbz)

nr=f->numRadialsR
printVarSummary(nr)

Variable: dbz
Type: byte
Total Size: 7254720 bytes
             7254720 values
Number of Dimensions: 3
Dimensions and sizes: [scanR | 11] x [radialR | 360] x [gateR | 1832]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 10
   units : dBz
   long_name : Reflectivity
   missing_value : ( 0x01, 0x00 )
   signal_below_threshold : 0x00
   scale_factor : 0.5
   add_offset : -33
   _Unsigned : true
   range_folding_threshold : 50
   _CoordinateAxes : timeR elevationR azimuthR distanceR
   _FillValue : ( 0x01, 0x00 )

Variable: nr
Type: integer
Total Size: 44 bytes
             11 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [scanR | 11]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 1
   long_name : number of valid radials in this scan

==========================
However ....

NCL is aware of COARDS and CF conventions. The conventions followed on
his file are

:Conventions = "_Coordinates"

I think the Warning is a result of a 'conflict' of conventions.
Note the missing_value attribute is length 2. I believe the
COARDS convention requires missing_value to be a scalar.
Same for _FillValue under the CF convention.

Also, note the the "dbz" is type byte.
You will have to multiply this value
by the scale_factor [0.5] to get the correct value.

Good luck