mapping hybrid atmospheric levels of 3D data at specific pressures

From: Madeleine Patterson <madeleine.patterson77_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri May 06 2011 - 12:03:57 MDT

Hello NCL-talkers,

I have some 3D atmospheric CAM model results which are output at 26 'hybrid'
levels (sigma levels in the bottom layers of the atmosphere, pressure levels
in the top layers of the atmosphere and hybrid levels in the middle of the
atmosphere). I want to produce maps of some of these 3D variables (like
relative humidty, U, V, omega etc) at certain pressure levels (e.g. 200,
500, 850 hPa).

I had a look at the vinth2p function and it seems like it's what I'm looking
for, but I'm a bit stuck on how to implement it - specifically the arguments
you need to specify when calling this function.

As I understand it, 'datai' is the 3D variable at n hybrid levels which is
the one I want to be output at certain specific pressure levels, 'plevo' is
a one-dimensional array of output pressure levels in mb (which I think you
can just specify in a script?), and 'psfc' should be 'a multi-dimensional
array of surface pressures in Pa...with...the same dimension sizes as the
corresponding dimensions of datai (minus the level dimension)' ; this would
just be a 2D (x,y) surface pressure variable?

However I'm not exactly sure of what 'hbcofa' and 'hbcofb' are, and where to
get this data?

Any advice (as well as on example scripts) would be welcome!

Thanks,
Madeleine