Plug-In for the NetBeans IDE

From: Robert Schuster <rxschuster_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri May 06 2011 - 08:18:34 MDT

Dear NCL users,

I hope that you will not get this email twice, I send it again because I received a "full mailbox" answer.

I have started to work on a Plug-In for the Netbeans IDE to support NCL files. Until now it has the following features:

Syntax Highlight:
Highlight of keywords, procedures and function names, attributes, coordinates, strings, comments, etc..

Syntax Check:
Basic syntax checks are performed. Most parts of the NCL Syntax are recognized and errors are marked with a red wave under the error position. Some potential errors are also checked. For example if a function has no return value.

In some cases, the syntax check is too stringent. This is an example from gsn_csm.ncl, there is obviously a right brace to much, but NCL don't cares about errors like that.

There are maybe also syntax error that are not detected, or detected errors that are definitively no errors.

Code Completion:
The plugin knows the names of all NCL procedures or functions. You just need to start typing the first letters, then press CTRL-SPACE, then you will get a list with all procedures or functions starting with the letters you typed. Procedures or functions from the local file or from files loaded with the load command are displayed with their arguments.

The completion of resources is not yet implemented, but it will follow in the future.

NCL Projects:
You can open every folder with NCL files as a project, but until now it is not possible to create new project folder in Netbeans. To create a new project create a new folder and then create an empty NCL file inside of this folder. This folder is in Netbeans displayed as a project. The module contains a template for new NCL files.

You can download the plug-in here:
http://plugins.netbeans.org/plugin/38897/?show=true

Please let me know if you have ideas or Problems.

Robert