Re: size of variable

From: Gus Correa <gus_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Jun 08 2011 - 14:09:51 MDT

Debasish wrote:
> Dear NCL Users,
>
> I am trying to declare a variable: x=new((/34,12784,130,193/), float, -999);
> I got following error: fatal:New: requested size of variable
> (43622076160 bytes) exceeds the current maximum allowed on this system.
> I realized that the error comes from large dimension of the variable.
> Is there anyway in NCL to handle this type of large dimensional variable.
>
> Thanks
>
> Debasish

Hi Debasish

The variable seems to require (at least) 43.6GB of memory.
Does your computer have this much? (and some more for the OS, NCL, etc)
Also, if your computer is 32-bit, you probably will have trouble with
variables larger than 2GB, maybe 4GB, anyway.

Sometimes it is hard to store in memory all data that
we have stored in large disk files.

Can't you work with parts of the variable at a time?
Say, time slices, or a chunk of a few levels, do whatever data reduction
you need to do, then accumulate the reduced results in another (smaller)
variable?

My two cents,
Gus Correa