nan in WRF

From: Nikola Marjanovic <nikola_marjanovic_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jul 14 2011 - 20:00:45 MDT

Hello,

I am having trouble using NCL when reading in velocity from WRF. Some of
the output from WRF is nan but NCL treats this like a float along with the
rest of the array. How do I set the missing value for the array to nan,
because I want NCL to treat these values as missing. I have tried
referencing a nan value out of the array and setting it as the FillValue
but that does not work even when I get no error.

My goal is to make contours so that I can see where the nan values develop
in time on my grid, but I get this error when I try to create a contour
with nan values:

fatal:ContourPlotPreDraw: CPCLAM/AREDAM - UNABLE TO INSERT NODE INTO MAP
fatal:ContourPlotDraw: draw error
warning:WorkstationDeactivate: workstation not active or not opened

Everything works fine when there are no nans. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Nikola