XY plot to superimpose different length datasets with different X grid points

From: Helen Parish <hparish_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jul 14 2011 - 04:45:36 MDT

I want to plot 2 datasets on the same XY plot, using a single set of X
and Y axes. The datasets have different lengths, but their X and Y
values both fall within approximately the same ranges, so they can be
plotted on the same X and Y axes. The X values and Y values of each
dataset differ from each other.

An example of this might be:

X1 = 0.0, 1.3, 2.2, 3.7, 4.0
Y1 = 3.1, 2.3, 4.8, 7,2, 3.4

and

X2 = 1.4, 2.6, 3.2
Y2 = 1.5, 6.3, 5.7

X1 and X2 both lie within approximately the same X-axis range, but
their values do not fall on the same grid points, and the datasets
have different lengths. However, both datasets should be able to be
plotted on the same plot. I want to make a direct comparison between
the datasets, so I do not want the plot to have two different X-axes
in which, for example, the X2 range of 1.4 to 3.2 is expanded in
length to correspond to the X1 range of 0.0 to 4.0. I presume this
must be possible without having to go through an interpolation /
extrapolation process to put the datasets onto exactly the same X grids.

However, I have been unable to find an example where this simple
superimposition of two different length datasets with different X
grids is done, as all the examples appear to apply to datasets which
use the same X axis points. Perhaps there is an example I have missed.

Does anyone have any ideas how to do this ?.

Thanks,
Helen.