Re: lbBox

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Jul 25 2011 - 07:15:11 MDT

On Jul 24, 2011, at 3:10 PM, Ivica Janekovic wrote:

> Dear,
> I have 2 questions
> 1)
> is it possible to have labelbar with only box round it without each
> individual box inside. In other words, I want to have fine, dense
> colors and if using Boxes it is mess, so when I turn them off I get
> colors but then if colormap is say white to something you can not
> see start of color bar.

I'm afraid there's no way to have just the outside perimeter of the
box without having the individual boxes outlined. This has been
requested at least once before, and we already have a trouble ticket
for it (NCL-42). I've elevated the priority for this, but I can't
guarantee if it will get implemented.

One thing you might consider in order to help see that there's a white
color at the end is to set the lbLabelAlignment resource to
"ExternalEdges" (therefore getting a label at the end). Or, to get the
exact min/max of your labels on the bar, set cnLabelBarEndStyle to
"IncludeMinMaxLabels".

> 2) when plotting scattered data with values, I can make using
> markers as in example for each of data (x,y) I have z valu and
> checking in which range it fall and than scale color according to
> that. As I have large number of data it is kind a slow, and binning
> data to range classes is not what I want, for example if want to
> have continous colors for data it is hardly possible..
> i.e. z=sin(x)*cos(y) and x and y are fine range and many points so
> plotting (x,y,z) is a problem

I'm not sure what you mean by "continuous colors for data", but in
order to get different marker colors for markers, you will need to
group them in some fashion according to what color you want them to be.

Did you see example scatter_5.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/scatter.shtmltions

How are you current coding the colors? It's possible you might be able
to speed up the "binning" by using the "where" and or "ind" functions.

--Mary