Reading IBTrACS netCDF

From: Carl Schreck <Carl.Schreck_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Jul 21 2011 - 08:46:13 MDT

I'm working with tropical cyclone data from the IBTrACS archive, and it
seems like it's taking NCL too long to read it. It takes ~ 10 s, even though
the file is ~ 500 MB. I'm probably spoiled to think 10 s is slow, but it
seems like it should be much faster.

The data can be found at:

ftp://eclipse.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/ibtracs/v03r03/all/netcdf/Allstorms.ibtracs_all.v03r03.nc

And a script to read it is attached. Is it slow because it's so many (9)
variables? Is there something I or the dataset developers could do to speed
this up?

Thanks!

   Carl

--