Re: shapefile to latlon grid

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Aug 29 2011 - 12:00:10 MDT

Hi Adrian,

We do not have a function for something like this specifically.

What you can do is use triple2grid:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/triple2grid.shtml

to put the random lat/lon/data points onto a 2D grid, then write this out to a NetCDF file yourself.

Note that this really only makes sense for shapefile "point" data, and not line or polygon data.

See example narr_3.ncl at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/narr.shtml#ex3

This shows how to use triple2grid, *and* it writes the new 2D data array to a NetCDF file using the efficient method.

--Mary