Spectral analysis: variance per month?

From: <Maurice.McHugh_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Aug 30 2011 - 09:49:41 MDT

Good morning all,

I am going to perform a spectral analysis on model output and would like to see spectral variance per month in addition to variance per period.

For an example of what I attempting to produce please see the rightmost element of the attached figure, where variance (K^2/month) is depicted on a monthly basis. This screenshot was captured from slide 3 in http://www.cesm.ucar.edu/working_groups/Ocean/presentations/OMWG07/neale2.pdf.

How can I use NCL to reconstruct variance on a per month basis, in addition to the more traditional: "variance per spectral frequency" which is the default output from NCL's spectral analysis function?

Many thanks,

Maurice