Re: EOF varimax rotation and data reconstruction

From: Carlos A. F. Marques <cafm_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Sep 08 2011 - 17:16:51 MDT

The properties (spatial orthogonality and temporal
uncorrelatedness) of orthogonally rotated empirical modes
depend on the normalization of the modes, prior to
rotation.

At least one of the properties (spatial orthogonality or
temporal uncorrelatedness) is lost when the EOFs are
rotated, depending on the normalization choice of the
eigenvectors (EOFs). See the following paper:
http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/docs/mestas-00.pdf

Hope it helps,

Carlos