Re: Converting axis coordinates

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Sep 15 2011 - 12:57:42 MDT

Hi Gerry,
I see you are using gsn_csm_contour as opposed to gsn_csm_contour_map..
(I didn't recognize this yesterday when I sent my original reply.) Are
you doing that on purpose? If so, then you can simply set vpWidthF and
vpHeightF to whatever values you wish between 0 and 1.

If not, and you meant to use gsn_csm_contour_map, then the aspect ratio
will depend on the map projection you are using. By default the
projection is cylindrical equidistant. If you want to change the aspect
ratio when using one of the gsn_csm_*_map* routines, beyond setting
vpWidthF and vpHeightF, you also need to set mpShapeMode = "FreeAspect"

Hope that helps..
Adam

On 09/15/2011 12:43 PM, Gerald Creager wrote:
> Hit Send too fast. That did, in fact, cure the problem. Thanks for the
> gentle reminder.
>
> Now, an aesthetics problem: The plot looks "squished" horizontally. Is
> there a suggested aspect ratio I could set?
>
> On 09/15/2011 08:16 AM, Gerald Creager wrote:
>> Argh... No, Adam, it doesn't:
>>
>> printVarSummary(model1Ssh)
>>
>> Variable: model1Ssh
>> Type: float
>> Total Size: 37677960 bytes
>> 9419490 values
>> Number of Dimensions: 3
>> Dimensions and sizes: [90] x [261] x [401]
>> Coordinates:
>> Number Of Attributes: 1
>> _FillValue : -9999
>>

>> On 09/14/2011 04:56 PM, Adam Phillips wrote:
>>> Hi Gerry,
>>> Does your model1Ssh array have associated latitude/longitude coordinate
>>> variables? You can see if it does by using printVarSummary:
>>> printVarSummary(model1Ssh)
>>>
>>> You should see something like this:
>>>
>>> Variable: model1Ssh
>>> <snip>