routine for extrapolating sst onto land

From: Boyle, Jim <boyle5_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 21 2011 - 11:23:22 MDT

I remember that a routine exists for smoothly generating values of SST onto land.
This is to provide values for a subsequent interpolation to a grid which has a different land/sea mask.
 I think it did some kind of laplacian smoothing.
Since I cannot remember the name, nor can I come up with an appropriate description of what it does my searches have not been successful.
If such a thing exists, Dennis must know.

Thanks for any info.
--JIm