The size limit of ascii file that asciiread or readAsciiTable can handle?

From: Eddy <eddycarl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun Sep 25 2011 - 18:21:05 MDT

Hi there,

I'm trying to read an ascii file that has 5 lines of headers, 324804 lines (including the 5 lines of headers), and 9 columns, and with space as separator. Using both asciiread and readAsciiTable, I got the same warning message as "warning:asciiread: End of file reached and only (2923109) elements were read from the file, filling remaining elements with the default missing value for the requested type". I am wondering whether there is an upper limit for the ascii file size, or the functions themselves have a bug. I found that in 2007 and 2010, some one else has reported similar problems before. But they did not indicate a hint for the reason. Does someone have an ideal of this? Thanks!

Best,
-Eddy