Re: ncl_filedump and wgrib

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2011 - 14:18:10 MDT

Hi Ahmed,

wgrib simply lists each record in a GRIB file in the order it finds them. NCL looks through the whole file and organizes the records into variables with time and level dimensions in addition to the horizontal lat/lon dimensions. But in order to add those dimensions, it needs to make sure that the records are compatible. GRIB has many types of level records for instance (e.g. sigma levels, hybrid levels, pressure levels). In order to create a valid level dimension, all the records used must have the same type of level, in addition to representing the same type of quantity. Further, the GRIB file can contain records with the same type of quantity but on different horizontal grids, with different extents or resolutions or projection type. These must be represented with different variables. The whole process that NCL uses to represent GRIB data is described in detail at http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclFormatSupport.shtml#GRIB. I hope this helps.
 -dave