Re: Small/Medium Circles..

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Sep 28 2011 - 12:15:56 MDT

Hi Erick,
I think all you'd need to do is to set up a factor to multiply your
storm radius by that would translate into the units gsMarkerSizeF would
expect. Thus, translate the widths into NDC units.

I'm not sure what units your width's are in, but let's say it's in
kilometers. Assuming a typical hurricane would be 500km wide, and the
gsMarkerSizeF values that you'd like to assign to a 500km wide hurricane
is .25. Your factor would thus be .0005.

Thus, you'd multiply all your widths by .0005 to translate them into NDC
units that you will specify as gsMarkerSizeF.

Coding wise: (assuming you have arrays named lat, lon, width)

<snip>
mpres@gsnFrame = False
map = gsn_csm_map(wks,mpres)

gsres = True
gsres@gsMarkerIndex = 16 ; Use filled dots for markers.

fctr = .0005
do gg = 0,dimsizes(lat)-1
    gsres@gsMarkerSizeF = width(gg)*fctr
    gsn_polymarker(wks,map,lon(gg),lat(gg),gsres)
end do
frame(wks)

Obviously you'd have to play with the size of the fctr to get the result
you want. Hope that helps. If not, let the group know.
Adam