reading in large netcdf files

From: Kerrie Geil <kgeil_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Oct 19 2011 - 23:12:11 MDT

Hello,

What's the fastest way to read in a variable from a large netcdf file? Say
I have a 25GB file (or larger) containing over 100 years worth of 3D and 4D
daily atmospheric variables and I only want to read in 2 of these variables
over 15 years or so. What I do now is subset everything I can like the
following:

infile=addfile("filename","r")
          prcp=infile->pr(index:index,{lat:lat},{lon:lon})
          z850=infile->hgt(index:index,{lev},{lat:lat},{lon:lon})

For large files though, this step alone can take up to 30-45min everytime I
run the script. Is there any procedure similar to setfileoption that I can
use to speed up the reading process? Or maybe there's some other work
around? I know this is not a problem with some other programs, but I happen
not to like these programs as much as NCL.

Thanks,

Kerrie Geil

Master's Student
Department of Atmospheric Sciences