converting SYNOP meteorological code into readable observations

From: Christopher Steele <christopher.steele_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 01 2011 - 06:43:39 MDT

Hi everyone

I've been attempting to write a script to sort out some meteorological
observations from their original synop form into something usable in the
MET tools software. Unfortunately I keep coming across this error message:

 fatal:Conditional statements (if and do while) require SCALAR logical
values, see all and any functions
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 122 in file read_synop.ncl

SYNOP code is a bit of a mess to interpret. Attached you will find a sample
of the code and my ncl file to decode it.

Hope someone can help

cheers

Chris