Re: Domain Averaged Precipitaion

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2011 - 07:26:58 MDT

You do not have to "reproject" (regrid) to a rectilinear grid.

You can use:
   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wgt_areaave2.shtml

   function wgt_areaave2 (q, w[*][*], opt)

Ideally, the argument 'w' would contain the area represented
by each grid point.

For example, the CESM POP model outputs the following variable:
           float TAREA(nlat, nlon) ;
                 TAREA:long_name = "area of T cells" ;
                 TAREA:units = "centimeter^2" ;

The weighted areal average of some variable 'x' is
         xAreaAvg = wgt_areaave2 (x, TAREA, opt)

==
I am not that familiar with WRF output but I don't think this type of
information is available. However as a proxy you could use the following:

     lat2d = f->XLAT(0,:,:)
     printVarSummary(lat2d)

     clat2d = cos(0.01745329*lat2d)
     xAreaAvg = wgt_areaave2 (x, clat2d, opt)

Good Luck