Re: How to calculate the weighted average of Relative humidity?

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Nov 23 2011 - 08:06:10 MST

You are not clear on what you want to do.

areal average?
  http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wgt_areaave.shtml

running average? eg a band-pass filter over 'time'
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/dim_avg_wgt_n_Wrap.shtml

monthly mean ...
this is *not* a weighted average ... n refers to the 'time' dimension
Since you have just 31 days
       RHAvg=dim_avg_n(RH,n)

If you want a vertical average .... data in vertical weighted
by layer thickness [weights], then see

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/dpres_plevel_Wrap.shtml