Fw: PNG Output: Canvas limited to smaller image side?

From: Heavenly Avenger <avenger-ncl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Dec 29 2011 - 10:53:09 MST

Hello,

    I am having bad times trying to arrange graphs side-by-side on wide screen resolution canvas (1280x720). When I set wkHeight to 720 and wkWidth to 1280, all usable space by any combination of vpHeightF and vpWidthF (inclusive suppressing tem), gsnScale and gsnMaximize is 720x720. If I make a 720x1280 (and other different size combinations), the graphs are still bound to the smallest of the dimensions.
    I suspect I can kind of override this problem doing a .ps on a landscape page, but I am afraid I will have another hassle to fit the resulting page on a 1280x720 image without some major distortion. I could also cut it with imagemagick but, I am not sure it is the way NCL was meant to work.
    After all, is that a known bug? Is there something special one must do in order to use all, non-square, canvas size while using the ImageWorkstation stuff? This is my first job on NCL (a 300-line long script to interpret and graph CSV files), so I must be missing something.
    To reproduce the error all you may need to do is create a non-square .png and try and plot a graph into the canvas. The more difference in sides the clearer is the problem. I tried also distributing in panels (gsn_panel()) and direct plotting of a single graph (gsn_csm_xy()).
    As a side question, I see there is not support to write .png’s with transparent background. Is there any plan to implementing this in the future? I am also aware of the solution using imagemagick+ps to get good results. The problem would be the shell dependency and control of output image wid/hei.

Thanks in advance,
Fabricio Murta