Re: Ask for help on reading NSIDC soil moisture data

From: Xiaoming Sun <xs13_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Feb 06 2012 - 17:52:05 MST

Dear All, It seems that my question is solved. 1) The MLLONLSB is in binary, no need to specify the extension and can be read correctly 2) The following link give further hints on how to plot it, http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ease.shtml Have a good weekends. Xiaoming ----- Original Message ----- From: "Xiaoming Sun" To: Cc: Sent:Mon, 06 Feb 2012 19:37:30 -0500 Subject:Ask for help on reading NSIDC soil moisture data My previous E-mail was hold by the system, probably due to the size of the attachments. Therefore, I re-send it, but with only the link to the place where the data can be obtained. Thanks for in advance for any help! Dear All, I am trying to plot the soil moisture estimation from NSIDC. However, I am confused on how to get the coordinate of the data. According to the website, it reads that Coordinate information (if only wants lat and lon and for little-endian) is in   a) MLLONLSB   b) MLLATLSB However, I am not sure the extension of these two files. Does anyone has experience on plotting them? Or could some one give help on this? Attached please find a) MLLONLSB ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/pub/DATASETS/brightness-temperatures/easegrid/tools/ b) MLLATLSB ftp://sidads.colorado.edu/pub/DATASETS/brightness-temperatures/easegrid/tools/ c) AMSR_E_L3_DailyLand_V06_20040912.hdf.gz (an example dataset, the variable interested in are D_Soil_Moisture and  A_Soil_Moisture). http://n4eil01u.ecs.nasa.gov:22000/WebAccess/granule?endDate=2004-09-13&esdt=AE_Land3.2&group=AMSA&beginDate=2004-09-13 Thanks in advance for your help. Best Regards, Xiaoming