Re: why i can not find wrf_helicity in WRFUserARW.ncl script in NCL 6.0

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Feb 17 2012 - 08:49:06 MST

Dear Tang,

wrf_helicity is a built-in function. It's a Fortran routine that was compiled into the "ncl" executable, and hence you don't need to load any NCL scripts to use it.

If you're ever not sure if an NCL function is a built-in function versus one that's available only via a script, then you can go to the documentation page for that function and look at the "Prototype" section. It will tell you what script, if any, you need to load to use the function.

Also, you can tell just from the URL of the function that it is a built-in function:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wrf_helicity.shtml

The "Built-in" part of the URL indicates it's a built-in function.

--Mary