Re: Tripolar grid

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Feb 15 2012 - 08:07:10 MST

None of us has much experience with the tripolar grid.
We don't use it. Ultimately, you may have to regrid.

On 2/14/12 9:21 PM, Arnold.Sullivan@csiro.au wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> 1st:
>
> How can I calculate Nino3.4 index with tripolar grid data which is based
> on logical index rather than lat/lon?

You can calculate your base climatology and anomalies on the original
tripolar grid. The do the Nino 3.4 region calculations.

> 2nd:
>
> How can I calculate zonal mean with tripolar grid? (So far I can do it
> by using zona_3.ncl but not dev_1.ncl.)

I think you will have to regrid to a rectilinear grid.
Possibly, if you have the eare represented by each grid box,
You could sum and average between latitude bounds.

> 3rd:
>
> Do we have something wgt_volave3 similar to wgt_areaave2 ??

no.