Fwd: Fwd: Fwd: grib2 to nc conversion problem- cfsr data

From: Naoki Mizukami <mizukami_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Feb 21 2012 - 16:03:36 MST

Hi,

I have some problems/question with conversion from grib2 data to netcdf
file.

I am trying to convert grib2 data from NCDC
(http://nomads.ncdc.noaa.gov/data/cfsr/200809/prate.gdas.200809.grb2)
with following ncl command and get error (segmentation fault). I am
using ncl-6.0.0.

>> ncl_convert2nc prate.gdas.200709.grb2
   Processing file: prate.gdas.200709.grb2...
   Copyright (C) 1995-2011 - All Rights Reserved
   NCAR Command Language Version 6.0.0
   The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
   See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
   warning: Entry (0) not found in code table file
   /fs/local/lib/ncarg/grib2_codetables.previous/ncep/4/4.2.table
   Classic model NetCDF does not support string types, converting
   initial_time0 to a character array
   Dimension 'ncl_strlen_0' will be added
   Segmentation fault

It is strange that I got almost identical data from NCAR HPSS and I
was able to convert. Only difference is NCDC data has one additional
dimension (it is 4D data- x, y, time, and forecast time, and NCDC has
one additional forecast time).

I checked both grib2 data content with ncl_filedump (I attached the
outputs)

I wonder if you could give me any idea what is causing the error in
converting NCDC grib2
data. I will need to use NCDC data.

thanks,
Naoki