WRF dbz

From: Yi Huang <vivian.huang_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Feb 27 2012 - 17:09:20 MST

Dear ncl help,

I am attempting to use ncl to plot the simulated radar reflectivity from
the wrf output. I've seen that there is a diagnostic variable "dbz" has
been calculated. As I am trying the compared the image with the observation
of CPR (94hz cloud profiling radar) on CloudSat, I was wondering weather
this "dbz" can be used as a direct comparison. Since weather radar (S band)
and cloud profiling radar (W band) is essentially different, which band is
the diagnostic "dbz" representing?

If it is modelling the weather radar (S band), is there any way to
calculate the reflectivity factor for cloud profiling radar?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Vivian