Re: writing out changes to the netcdf file

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri Mar 30 2012 - 14:19:49 MDT

Alexander,

You need to provide more information if you're going to ask us to look at your script for any problems. Otherwise, we have to do a lot of guessing.

For starters, which variable represents sea ice? I assume it is "ic", and so then I try to follow what happens to "ic", and it looks like it eventually becomes "I" and then "I_avg". There's a lot of code that deals with calculating "I_avg", based on do loops and if statements. Without having your original data, I can't tell what's happening to I_avg.

I don't understand this code:

S_avg=s
I_avg=i
do t =0,719
if (lat(t).gt.56 .and. lat(t).le.57.5) then
I_avg(29,:,:,t,:)=0.1
S_avg(29,:,:,t,:)=0.9
end if
if (lat(t).gt.57.5 .and. lat(t).le.59.) then
I_avg(29,:,:,t,:)=0.2
S_avg(29,:,:,t,:)=0.7
end if
. . .
if (lat(t).gt.61.4 .and. lat(t).le.61.9) then
I_avg(29,:,:,t,:)=0.9
S_avg(29,:,:,t,:)=0.1
end if
if (lat(t).gt.61.9) then
I_avg(29,:,:,t,:)=1.0
S_avg(29,:,:,t,:)=0.0
end if
end do

What is special about index 29, and why only this index? Did you verify that these "if" statements are actually getting reached?

Also, next time, please try to include a cleaner script. The script you sent us has random indentations, which makes it hard to tell where your do loops and if statements begin and end.

When you say "the sea ice looks just as it looked before" do you mean the plots look the same, or did you actually compare the values by doing a difference?

--Mary