Re: vinth2p with CMIP data

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Mar 27 2012 - 11:50:06 MDT

If you are interpolating, there should be no winds that
look "too strong". If you are extrapolating (below ground level)
then this could be the case. vinth2p_ecmwf will extrapolate
temperature (using the lapse rate) and/or geopotential (lapse
rate and hydrostatic formula). *All* other variables are
set to the the nearest non-missing value. This could result
in "too strong" winds.

As noted in the documentation, the vinth2p was taken directly
from the old model processor. NCL changed nothing.

My suggestions:
(1) do not extrapolate [*all* extrapolations not guided
by physics are dangerous, even then use with caution]

(2) Look at "Grid Fill" examples at
     http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/grid_fill.shtml
     In particular the ones using 'poisson_grid_fill'
Good Luck