Re: Question

From: Carl Schreck <carl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Apr 12 2012 - 11:25:31 MDT

Dennis & Mike,

Either way is ok as long as it's clearly labeled. I'm more used to seeing
the amplitude (which would have a sqrt), but it looks like Matt Wheeler
puts both on his page:
http://cawcr.gov.au/staff/mwheeler/maproom/RMM/ts.PCvar91drm.gif
http://cawcr.gov.au/staff/mwheeler/maproom/RMM/ts.PCamp91drm.gif

   Carl

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Dennis Shea <shea@ucar.edu> wrote:

> I have not looked at the MJO diagnostics in a *long* time.
>
> ===
> I did not provide an option for the labels. It has some
> hard wired lines.
>
> You can copy the diagnostics_cam.ncl and modify the
> 'mjo_phase_background' procedure. It is just an NCL script.
>
> %> cp $NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/diagnostics_cam.ncl
> my.diagnostics_cam.ncl
>
> and then modify as you desire. If you get something you think
> others might prefer, your procedure could be added as a separate
> procedure and be added to future NCL releases.
>
> ===
> Re: mjoclivar_14.ncl
>
> Obviously, making the suggested change is trivial.
> My question ... Is
>
> mjo_ts_index = eof_ts_cdata(0,:)^2 + eof_ts_cdata(1,:)^2
>
> a mistake? This is a variance. The sqrt(..) is not a variance.
>
> As I recall, I matched the results I obtained with existing diagnostics
> from the MJO CLivar site.

> On 04/12/2012 10:09 AM, Ventrice, Michael J wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering if it is possible to change the different geographical
> > location strings when plotting the RMM Phase space diagram plot that has
> > been made available,
> >

> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Diagnostics/mjo_phase_background.shtml
> >
> > Further, we believe that you may need to add a new variable using the
> > sqrt() function to the script named mjoclivar_14.ncl when trying to plot
> > the "MJO Strong Index" x-y plot.
> >
> > Original:
> >
> > mjo_ts_index = eof_ts_cdata(0,:)^2 + eof_ts_cdata(1,:)^2
> >
> > Suggested New Variable:
> >
> > sqrt_mjo_ts_index = sqrt(eof_ts_cdata(0,:)^2 + eof_ts_cdata(1,:)^2)
> >
> > You would need to take the 91 day running average of the new variable,
> > and change the original variable to the new variable in the "MJO Strong
> > Index" part of the script towards the bottom.
> > Best,
> > Mike
> >
> > --
> > Michael J. Ventrice
> > Department of Atmospheric and Environmental Sciences
> > University at Albany, New York, ES 218
> > MVentrice@albany.edu <mailto:MVentrice@albany.edu>
> > Mike.Ventrice@gmail.com <mailto:Mike.Ventrice@gmail.com>
> > http://mikeventrice.weebly.com/index.html

Carl J. Schreck III, PhD
Postdoctoral Research Associate
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites (CICS-NC)
North Carolina State University and NOAA's National Climatic Data Center
151 Patton Avenue
Asheville, NC 28801
Tel: 828-257-3140
carl@cicsnc.org