Satellite Image "noise" reduction

From: Jakob Tendel <tendel_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Apr 11 2012 - 08:53:41 MDT

Hello,

I am working on an application that combines model data fields with
satellite products. My problem is that the sat fields are very noisy,
with lots of small specks of data. I need to smoothe/filter those out to
get the larger contiguous areas that I can compare to the model data.
Does anyone know of a way to "remove all areas with fewer than x
pixels". I was thinking of something like a morphological close
operation, but I don't think that exists in ncl.

Thanks for any hints,

Jakob

--
Dipl.-Met. Jakob Tendel
Institut für Meteorologie und Klimatologie