Vector length in gridpoints instead of NDC

From: Stephan Matthiesen <info_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon Apr 16 2012 - 15:09:19 MDT

Hello,

I have to produce a vector map where the vector lengths are given in
units of gridpoints, and they should be scaled so that their length is
consistent with the grid. So, for example, a vector of (2,3) gridpoints
should actually point from one gridpoint to the one 2 gridpoints east
and 3 north.

I only found ways to set the scaling in normalised display coordinates
(NDCs), with the ressources vcRefMagnitudeF and vcRefLengthF. But grid
size in the plot has no simple relation to NDCs (I'm using a
stereographic projection), and a (2,3) vector for example needs to have
different length depending on where it appears on the map.

I'm plotting the vector map with gsn_csm_vector_map.

Is it possible to scale the vectors so that they are consistent with the
grid?

If anybody wonders why I want that: my vector field represents actual
displacment in gridpoints, not wind speeds or velocities. For velocities
it makes sense to have the arrow length in a constant scale, but the
displacement in my case should be shown in actual gridpoints.

Thanks in advance
Stephan