Re: Area Average over land

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon May 07 2012 - 15:23:41 MDT

On May 7, 2012, at 1:01 PM, Soumik Basu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anybody please suggest me a way to do an area average for the grid
> points over the lands only.

It depends on whether you have a "landmask" type of variable already on your file.

See example 1 at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/mask.shtml

This shows you how to use "mask" to mask your data based on another array of the same size.
You can then take an average of the masked data.

If you don't have a "landmask" variable, then another way you can is using data from a shapefile,
and the "gc_inout" function. See example 9 on the same page.

--Mary