Re: plot tropical band error

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu May 17 2012 - 11:31:02 MDT

Hi Mohamed,
There are a couple of problems with your script.
1) you have the lat and lon dimensions reversed with respect to the dimension order of the variables in the file
2) You need to look at the actual values of the longitude dimension. When you do, you will see that they are non-monotonic: they start at 4 and after 180 they switch to negative values with the rightmost value being 0. So you are setting the left corner to 4 and the right corner to 0 longitude. If you add 360 to the negative values (and 0) you will have much better luck.
3) Since the lon coordinates go from 4 - 360, you need to set the center longitude to 180 or so (the exact value does not matter).
4) Since this is a mercator coordinate system with the center lat at 0, the coordinates are really 1D even though they are given as 2D (all the columns of the lat array are the same and all the rows of the longitude are the same).
I am attaching a revised version of your script (with some illustrative print commands left in) that draws the plot correctly. I set the arrays sfXArray and sfYArray with the appropriate 1D coordinate values, so you can get the same result with tfDoNDCOverlay set True or False.
 -dave