Re: Printing Times Series for several grid points from wrf output files

From: Jan Harlass <jharlass_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed May 16 2012 - 03:37:04 MDT

Dear Elena,

maybe the tool "read_wrf_nc" will help you. See chapter 10 in the ARW
User`s Guide (V3). There is an option for time series:

./read_wrf_nc wrf_data_file_name [-options]

-ts Generate time series output. A full vertical profile for each
variable will be created.
-ts xy X Y VAR VAR ... will generate time series output for all VAR's at
location X/Y
-ts ll lat lon VAR VAR ... will generate time series output for all
VAR's at x/y location nearest to lat/lon

Regards,

     Jan

Am 16.05.2012 06:13, schrieb jagan TNAU:
> Dear Elena,
>
> No direct way available for writing time series files from wrfout to
> ascii format with grids as column. For our operational forecast
> (can.tnau.ac.in <http://can.tnau.ac.in>) first we post process it
> using ARWpost to grads binary, use grads script to pick the variable
> you require and convert grads binary into ascii files using fortran
> script. Then we use grads as well as NCL scripts to display the
> variables for our requirements. All these can be automated using shall
> scripts.
>

> On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Dennis Shea <shea@ucar.edu
> <mailto:shea@ucar.edu>> wrote:
>
> The NCO may do what you want.
>
> If not, lease resend to ncl-talk more details.
> Are the point scattered (if so, how many); are they a block of points;
>

> On 5/15/12 4:59 AM, Andrea N. Hahmann wrote:
> > Dear Elena
> >
> > Have you consider using NCO? If you need only a grid point
> value, ncks
> > would probably be the best choice for you. More info is
> available at:
> > http://nco.sourceforge.net/nco.html#ncks-netCDF-Kitchen-Sink
> >
> > Regards,
> > Andrea
> > ----
> > Andrea N. Hahmann
> > Senior Scientist
> > DTU Wind Energy
> >
> > *Technical University of Denmark
> > *Risø Campus
> > Frederikborgvej 399, P.O. Box 49
> > 4000 Roskilde, Denmark
> >
> > Direct +45 4677 5471
> > Mobil: +45 2133 0550
> > ahah@dtu.dk <mailto:ahah@dtu.dk>
> > http://www.vindenergi.dtu.dk/
> >

> > From: Elena Maria Pison San Pedro <emp@dhi.com.sg
> <mailto:emp@dhi.com.sg> <mailto:emp@dhi.com.sg
> <mailto:emp@dhi.com.sg>>>
> > To: "ncl-talk@ucar.edu <mailto:ncl-talk@ucar.edu>
> <mailto:ncl-talk@ucar.edu <mailto:ncl-talk@ucar.edu>>"
> <ncl-talk@ucar.edu <mailto:ncl-talk@ucar.edu>
> > <mailto:ncl-talk@ucar.edu <mailto:ncl-talk@ucar.edu>>>
> > Subject: Printing Times Series for several grid
> points from
> > wrf output files
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm trying to print ascii files containing the time series of
> RAINC but
> > for quite a lot of grid points.
> >
> > Is it possible to extract from wrf-output files several ascii files
> > enumerated by the latitude longitude "name" of the grid?
> >
> > Could anyone suggest me which functions should I use?
> >
> > Thanks a lot in advance?
> >
> > Elena

> With regards
>
> Dr.R.Jagannathan
> Professor of Agronomy,
> Department of Agronomy
> Tamil Nadu Agricultural University,
> Coimbatore - 641 003 India
>
> PHONE: Mob: +91 94438 89891
>
> DO NOT PRINT THIS E-MAIL UNLESS NECESSARY. THE ENVIRONMENT CONCERNS US
> ALL.

Jan Harlaß
FB1, FE Maritime Meteorologie, PhD-Student
Helmholtz-Zentrum für Ozeanforschung Kiel (GEOMAR)
Düsternbrooker Weg 20
Alte Botanik Raum 61
24105 Kiel, Germany