EOF: PC normalization

From: Torben Mueller <torbenmllr_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri May 18 2012 - 13:42:56 MDT

Dear NCL community,

I have the following problem:

I have two similar data sets (dataA and dataB).
I calculate an EOF pattern from dataA:

   eof = eofcov_Wrap(dataA,neof)

And then search for this EOF pattern in the dataB set, hence getting a
"pseudo PC":

   eof_ts = eofcov_ts_Wrap(dataB,eof)

The question is how to normalize the resulting PC to get zero mean and
unit variance?

Obviously I can not use the original eigenvalue associated with the
eof pattern, e.g.:

   pcnorm = eof_ts(0,:)/sqrt(eof@eval(0))

As the magnitude of the EOF pattern is different in dataB compared to dataA.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to approach this?

Thanks!