Assign Character Data to a Variable

From: Lunde, Bruce N CIV NAVOCEANO, NP1 <bruce.lunde_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue May 29 2012 - 15:09:03 MDT

Hello, I can not seem to get a very simple character assignment
to work.

The web page at
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclDataTypes.shtml#Non-numericTypes

says that I should be able to do
a_cap = 65C

When I try it at the command-line I get an error (but inttochar() works):
105> ncl
 Copyright (C) 1995-2010 - All Rights Reserved
 NCAR Command Language Version 5.2.0
 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.
 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.
ncl 0> a = 65C
fatal:syntax error: line 0 before or near C
a = 65C
------^

ncl 1> a = inttochar(65)
ncl 2>

Is this not available in version 5.2.0 ? I also get an error
when trying to this within a script.

Thanks, Bruce

P.S. it would be nice to have a link to an ASCII chart (lookup table) on
the web site, linked to by the pages that talk about character data and
also by pages pertaining to functions such as inttochar() (maybe under
the "Popular Links" menu ?).