NCL Version 6.1.0-beta now available

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon May 28 2012 - 18:13:06 MDT

The NCL team is pleased to announce the release of NCL version 6.1.0-beta.

This version contains a major overhaul of the graphics display model, which allows for:

        - The use of transparency via RGBA (alpha) values
        - Using named colors ("PaleGreen") without having to add them to your color map
        - The use of more than 256 colors per image

We've also changed some graphical defaults, which we think will be a big improvement:

        - Default color table has been changed to one with 256 colors
        - Default font is now "helvetica"
        - Default function code is now "~"
        - The color map will automatically be spanned for colored vectors, contours, and streamlines
        - The labelbar labels will automatically be strided if they overlap.

Some other new features include:

        - New regridding functions via ESMF (Earth System Modeling Framework) software
        - Several new functions, color tables, and resources
        - Improvements to GRIB1/GRIB2 reader
        - Bug fixes

Since this version of NCL has so many changes to its underlying graphics, we decided
to do a beta release first. We would appreciate people testing this new version before
we do an official release. Feedback can be done via the ncl-talk@ucar.edu email list,
or via a bug report (see http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/report_bug.shtml).

For full details on this new version with links to the new features, see:

     http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/current_release.shtml

For some examples of the new graphical and regridding features, see:

    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/rgbacolor.shtml
    http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/ESMF.shtml

--Mary Haley, on behalf of the NCL team