Re: wind gfs

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu May 31 2012 - 08:04:41 MDT

As noted by Kyle, if you have a vertical coordinate variable
then you can use the "natural coordinates" via {...}.

I do not have a copy of the file you are using. The file I have
is named: gblav.T00Z.PGrbF03.grb

---
The 1st rule of data processing is to *always* look at your data file(s).
%> ncl_filedump gblav.T00Z.PGrbF03.grb  | less
[snip]
       float UGRD_P0_L103_GLL0 ( lat_0, lon_0 )
          center :       US National Weather Service - NCEP (WMC)
          production_status :    Operational products
          long_name :    U-component of wind
          units :        m s-1
          _FillValue :   1e+20
          grid_type :    Latitude/longitude
          parameter_discipline_and_category :    Meteorological
products, Momentum
          parameter_template_discipline_category_number :        ( 0, 0,
2, 2 )
          level_type :   Specified height level above ground (m)
          level :        10
          forecast_time :        3
          forecast_time_units :  hours
          initial_time : 02/03/2012 (00:00)
[snip]
Note the "level" *attribute*. In this case, You can read the 10m level
directly.
    f   = addfile("gblav.T00Z.PGrbF03.grb", "r")
    u10 = f->UGRD_P0_L103_GLL0
---
You can also use NCL's grib file options. The following
forces NCL the include what it considers 'degenerate
dimensions' (array size 1) to be included. In the above,
the level dimension is of size one so it is a
degenerate dimension.
  setfileoption("grb","SingleElementDimensions","level")
f = addfile("gblav.T00Z.PGrbF03.grb", "r")
u = f->UGRD_P0_L103_GLL0
printVarSummary(u)
Variable: u
Type: float
Total Size: 1039680 bytes
             259920 values
Number of Dimensions: 3
Dimensions and sizes:	[lv_HTGL16 | 1] x [lat_0 | 361] x [lon_0 | 720]
Coordinates:
             lv_HTGL16: [10..10]     <******************** Note
             lat_0: [90..-90]
             lon_0: [ 0..359.5]
Number Of Attributes: 12
   center :	US National Weather Service - NCEP (WMC)
   production_status :	Operational products
   long_name :	U-component of wind
   units :	m s-1
   _FillValue :	1e+20
   grid_type :	Latitude/longitude
   parameter_discipline_and_category :	Meteorological products, Momentum
   parameter_template_discipline_category_number :	( 0, 0, 2, 2 )
   level_type :	Specified height level above ground (m)
   forecast_time :	3
   forecast_time_units :	hours
   initial_time :	02/03/2012 (00:00)
Here you could use the {...} because there is a 'coordinate variable'
named 'level'
   u10 = u({10},:,:)
or, directly
   u10 = f->UGRD_P0_L103_GLL0({10},:,:)