Order of attributes

From: <Daniel.Leuenberger_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Jun 19 2012 - 03:59:48 MDT

Dear all,

I'm using NCL 6.0.0 and came across an unexpected behavior in the ordering of attributes of a logical variable:

res_def = True
res_def@a = 10
res_def@b = 5
res_def@c = 8

print(res_def)

res=res_def

print(res)

gives the following:

Variable: res_def
Type: logical
Total Size: 4 bytes
            1 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [1]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 3
  c : 8
  b : 5
  a : 10
(0) True

Variable: res
Type: logical
Total Size: 4 bytes
            1 values
Number of Dimensions: 1
Dimensions and sizes: [1]
Coordinates:
Number Of Attributes: 3
  a : 10
  b : 5
  c : 8

(0) True

1) Is there a systematic ordering of the attributes of a logical variable?
2) Why is the ordering reversed after the definition?
3) Why is the ordering reversed when copied to another variable?

In my application the order of the attributes matter, therefore I need to be sure on how they are sorted.

Thanks a lot for your clarification!

Best regards
Daniel

Daniel Leuenberger
Numerical Prediction

Federal Department of Home Affairs FDHA
Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology MeteoSwiss

Kraehbuehlstrasse 58, P. O. Box 514, CH-8044 Zurich
Phone +41 44 256 97 10
Fax +41 44 256 92 78
daniel.leuenberger@meteoswiss.ch
www.meteoswiss.admin.ch<http://www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/>